Thursday 25 November 2010

Change

Well now. I am confused. Confused and suspicious.
I have been working in alternative educational provision for seventeen years. I have been working with Tuition for fifteen years. Children who are ill are being taught for up to 10 hours, much of this is 1:1, or grouped. The new government is now proposing full time. Excellent, astonishing. Last time the conservatives were in power Tuition was a Cinderella service with no funding. I had to buy my own books. During the Labour years we have been funded so that we have laptops to teach with and classrooms for groups.
Now the Conservatives are in power the White paper is suggesting that students who are ill and well enough should have full time provision. Wow, great. But wait, this is the government cutting everywhere. How is this going to be possible? Are we going to become a little school, maybe a PRU for sick kids? If it comes off the Tory party have done something really good. I am still suspicious. Maybe we will become an Academy for Tuition. If so what of our salaries? Maybe we will become a charity? Maybe PRU students can take up bricklaying a build the Tuition kids a school? Whatever happens there looks like change ahead. On the surface of it this looks a really excellent proposal. Experience has taught me not to trust Tories. Is this the influence of the Libs?

I am still confused, but will just have to be content to let time take its course. Wait and see. Patience was never a virtue of mine. I'll never make a teacher!

1 comment:

  1. Pam,

    I will nosy through the paerwork today and let you know if I smell a rat.... My first hunch is that either a) the group size might get bigger b) the pay might become less... I'll try and find out

    ReplyDelete